If you’re having oral health issues, you’re not suffering alone. The number of people who are dealing with these problems is alarming:
- 1 in 4 children under 5 already has cavities
- 1 in 4 adults aged 20 to 64 currently has cavities
- 2.1 million people ended up in the ER with dental issues (in 2010)
Many people don’t go to the dentist
Despite how many people have gum, mouth or tooth problems, there are 181 million in the U.S. who won’t visit a dentist this year. This is especially true of low-income families. The American Dental Association (ADA) calls it the “dental divide.” There are 48% of lower-income families who haven’t seen a dentist in a year or more. And 20% of adults earning less than $30K have not visited a dentist in over 5 years. Many because they don’t have access to even basic dental care.
Why twice-a-year dental check-ups are important
Going to the dentist a couple times a year can make a big difference in your overall health. It can help:
- Protect your general health. Oral health care and general health are closely related. Studies have linked gum disease to diabetes and heart disease.
- Catch cavities early. It’s more affordable and easier to treat them the earlier you catch them.
- Find gum disease early. You may have it and not even know it.
- Detect oral cancer in its early stage. This is really important if you smoke or use tobacco.
- Check your fillings, crowns, dentures or dental implants. Making sure they’re secure and aren’t defective or have decay.
- Enjoy your quality of life. Keeping you out of pain, smiling without embarrassment and eating the foods you like is important.
Get the dental care you need right at HJAHC
At Henry J. Austin, access to high quality dental care and state-of-the-art equipment is close by. When you book an appointment, you’ll be seen by experienced dentists—each with an average of 24+ years in the field. And the environment is warm, friendly and stress-free. Dental services include:
- X-rays, check-ups, cleanings, fluoride and sealants
- Gum treatments and deep cleanings
- Fillings, extractions and dentures
- Referrals for orthodontics, braces, endodontics, root canals, crowns and implants
Worried about cost? HJAHC offers a discount program for ALL dental procedures based on the size of your family and your income. Get more information here in English and here in Spanish. To make a dental appointment, call 609-278-5900.