Henry J. Austin Health Center (HJAHC) is located in Trenton, New Jersey. Established in 1969 as Trenton’s Neighborhood Health Center, HJAHC was incorporated in 1986 as a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) entity.
Who we are as an organization is steeped in the history of our city and legacy of Dr. Henry J. Austin and we are honored to be named after Dr. Austin. Dr. Austin, an African-American, Princeton resident, who came to Trenton to practice medicine because Jim Crow laws prohibited this in his own home town. Dr. Austin was born on February 23, 1888 in Tallahassee, Florida and was brought to Princeton as a young boy. He attended Howard University Medical School and graduated in 1918 and completed his internship at Freeman’s Hospital (now Howard University Hospital) in Washington, D.C. Some historians credit Dr. Austin with helping integrate Trenton schools.
Following Dr. Austin’s pledge to provide high quality health care to those that need it most, Henry J. Austin Health Center has been committed to providing the best care possible for the last five decades. We have been Joint Commission accredited since 1999 and we are a National Committee on Quality Assurance certified Patient-Centered Medical Home since 2013.