Financial Data Analyst
Status: Full Time
Location: Ewing st
Grant or HJAHC: HJAHC
Under the general direction and supervision of the Finance and Revenue Cycle Manager performs the functions of the financial data analyst. With a focus on detail and accuracy, the financial data analyst will research and analyze financial information to help the organization make well informed decisions, write reports, submit required payment applications and monitor financial movements.
- Works cooperatively with all employees to carry out the goals and objectives of Henry J. Austin Health Center, according to the established policies and procedures and current initiatives
- Works closely with Finance and Revenue Cycle Manager to establish priorities in duties and responsibilities. Collects data from a variety of sources such as Athena(Medical billing system), Dentrix Enterprise(dental billing system), SQL tables, electronic medical records, Uniform Data System, Medicaid, Medicare, the state primary care office and accounting software etc.
- Gathers and records data into excel, access or other designated formats for reporting to state and other billing agencies.
- Provides creative alternatives and recommendations to increase revenue through contractual agreements and improve financial performance
- Efficient and timely submission of Quarterly and Prior Period Medicaid Wrap submissions and Letter of Agreement submissions
- Analyze data from Department of Health variance reports to minimize errors and maximize revenue on future submissions.
- Organize, maintain, and update medical and dental contracts with contracted insurance companies as needed.
- Follow up on and maximize billing on Medicare Wrap revenue
- Look for potential medical billing options to increase revenue and maximize cash flow
- Work closely in sync with Medical/Dental Coding Specialist with the goal of maximizing revenue for HJAHC
- Use the Federal Poverty Guidelines to create and manage sliding fee scales in Athena and Dentrix
- Work closely in sync with billing vendor to facilitate posting of wrap, and LOA revenue as appropriate and obtain reports from billing system
- Proactive and analytical ability to demonstrate revenue through graphical representations to Management
- Assemble and summarize data to compile sophisticated reports on financial status and risks
- Use statistical formulas to compute and analyze data; verify the accuracy, completeness, and reliability of data using sources such as records, reports, and surveys
- .Organize data, survey forms and supporting or source materials.
- Conduct business studies on past, future and comparative performance and develop forecast models
- Track and determine financial status by analyzing actual results in comparison with forecasts
- Search for and identify new sources and methods of data collection.
- Utilize available resources to remain informed and educated on changes within the industry relating to the position.
- Demonstrates the ability to independently complete regular scheduled data collection, reports and work assignments
- Prepare Standard Operating Procedures and Policies when needed
- Performs all related work as required and any special projects as assigned by Finance Revenue Cycle Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in related filed required – Business, Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- Health care revenue cycle management or billing experience preferred
- Experience with medical databases, billing systems, SQL, advanced excel skills and MIP accounting software preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in reporting, consolidation and financial analysis.
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB:
- Understanding of Medical Insurances i.e.; Medicare, Medicaid, Managed Care.
- Understanding of Medical Insurance billing basics, i.e.; charges, allowed amounts, payments, contractual adjustments, denials, capitation, and eligibility,
- Knowledge of how to create and run reports within a billing system (Athena helpful), SQL, and others
- Excellent excel skills with intermediate to advanced excel knowledge and financial data analysis experience. Experience and knowledge of advanced excel functions, applying of proper data validation techniques, pivot tables, data sorting, and data filters. Eye to detail with high organization skills for data analysis.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. Ability to write correspondence; effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Skill in the application of modern office techniques and practices and the use and care of office machines and equipment. Working knowledge of common software packages necessary to perform the functions of the position.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to work well with others and to assist the public and other staff members cooperatively and courteously.
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to complete projects timely and accurately critical
- Ability to convey information effectively.
- Strong initiative and ability to manage multiple projects as well as strong follow through skills
- Recognize and respect cultural diversity.
- Team work and collaboration
- Demonstrates computer proficiency.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance in neat and clean.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, visions and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, working at a computer for extended periods of three hours or more; use hands to handle, finger or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear, is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand which can be for long periods of time, walk and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.