Bilingual Unit Receptionist
Status: Full Time
Location: Warren and Bellevue
Grant or HJAHC: HJAHC
Provides point of contact interface between patients/clients/other customers and clinical units within health centers in accordance with established the philosophy of the health center; administrative support clerical functions to unit business operations, including but not limited to ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
- Interpret for non-English speaking patients who require Spanish interpretation.
- Listen to the facility staff and orally translate information into the patient’s native language in layman’s term. Translate the information back to the staff requesting interpretation.
- Interprets and translate information including but not limited to the reasons for medical visits, past medical history, family history, giving medical care instruction and providing drug information.
- Consistently greets all patients/clients/customers via telephone or directly in a culturally sensitive, personal and professional manner.
- Consistently exhibits behaviors which demonstrate concern and consideration for patient/client/customer needs.
- Consistently processes all patient and business-related documentation including medical records in a timely and efficient manner while ensuring confidential integrity of patient-related materials.
- Completes patient referral documents and pre-certifications in time frames determined by the Health Center. Follow the referral guidelines and provide appropriate clinical information to specialists.
- Adhere to team daily chart check list for patient chart preparation prior to and during patient visits.
- Consistently strives to verify/update computerized patient files as necessary to assure accuracy of data maintained in information systems.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others by interfacing with clinical teams and other non-clinical staff to assure efficient patient flow.
- Demonstrate team collaboration to facilitate joy in the work place.
- Provides support to clinical operations by performing and prioritizing clerical functions including, but not limited to, filing, record-keeping, appointment scheduling, taking prescription requests and requesting medical records.
- Retrieving information from the fax machine and clinical in box in a timely manner and other general office duties as assigned.
- Participate in daily team huddles.
- Inputs information in the electronic medical record and scans documents in appropriate locations according to the tabs. Scans lab and reports in chart according to tabs and filing system.
- Prepares and assist on departmental projects, form completions, and reports.
- Participate with population management in collaboration with the clinical and care teams as directed by using multiple templates tools: including preventive templates, health maintenance template, CEM, Business Objects reports, UDS reports and Performance Improvement Projects, Quality Improvement and Quality Assurance and any other plans or process to improve patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates the ability to use Microsoft Word, and prepare memo’s and documents as assigned
- Coordinates scheduling of patient appointments directly or via telephone in a manner which assures efficient utilization of clinical resources follow up with no show patients to reschedule appointments.
- Notify patients to bring appropriate documents for registration and verify Insurance eligibility when scheduling patient appointments.
- Adhere to scheduling rules for scheduling of appointments confirmation calls and follow-up for no show including DNKA.
- Consistently utilizes appropriate lines of authority as necessary.
- Demonstrates interest in improvement of work environment by maintaining awareness of current trends in medical office operations and shares such information with co-workers.
- Demonstrates self-directed learning through participation in staff education and in-service programs.
- Maintains flexibility and demonstrates cooperation in providing staffing coverage in all units including all satellite health center locations as needed.
- Monitors supply quantities and submit requisitions as necessary
- Assumes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist staff with Spanish interpretation if bilingual in Spanish.
- Attend job related training as mandated.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance in neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirement.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Completes in-services surveys and returns in a timely fashion.
- Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
- Attends a minimum of 10 staff meetings annually; reads monthly staff meeting minutes.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, visions and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); minimum one (1) year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Attend further medical interpretation and medical terminology training as identified by the facility.
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB:
- Bilingual -English/Spanish
- Pass proficiency testing in Spanish (if bilingual) within 30 days of notification of testing requirement.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write correspondence; effectively present information to individuals and in group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Skill in the application of modern office techniques and practices and the use and care of office machines and equipment. Working knowledge of various computer programs; willingness to learn new software packages.
- Computer literacy and proficiency. Capable of working with computers and business software applications such as Microsoft word, excel, and power point;
- Ability to work well with others and to assist the public cooperatively and courteously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.