RN Call Center
Under the direction of the Director of Nursing provides professional nursing services on regular and/or emergency basis in accordance with established philosophy during business hours and as assigned; responsible for medication refill requests according to establish guideline for prescription refills for Henry J. Austin Health Center, Inc. Responsible to telephone triage patients across life span according to the guidelines and protocol recommendation of HJA. Communicates with physicians and team members about changes in patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology. Responsible for all other duties as directed by DON including and not limited to the essential functions.
• Consistently demonstrates competency in patient assessment and documents appropriate nursing diagnosis in medical record and evaluate plan of care.
• Adhere and follow the medication refill policy as written.
• Initiates and implements patient care plan using independent nursing judgment.
• Identify and communicate significant abnormal patient data and issues and guides effective solutions.
• Order labs as indicated according to lab requirements as listed in Medication Refill Policy.
• Refill medication for patients of participating provider and report significant findings to the provider
• Refill medication and address medication refill request within 5 working days.
• Prepares assigned patients for examinations and treatments following established nursing procedures.
• Assists provider during examination and treatments in professional manner following acceptable nursing standards.
• Notify patients to bring appropriate documents for registration and verify insurance eligibility when scheduling patient appointments.
• Adhere to scheduling rules for scheduling of appointments confirmation calls and follow-up for no show including DNKA.
• Participate with population management in collaboration with the clinical and care teams as directed by using multiple templates tools: including preventive templates, health maintenance template, CEM, Business Objects reports, UDS reports and Performance Improvement Projects, Quality Improvement and Quality Assurance and any other plans or process to improve patient outcomes.
• Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions in medical record and notifies supervisor or provider of patient's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments and significant incidents.
• Educate patients on medication and medication usage.
• Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
• Completes appropriate nursing intervention according to recommendations of provider including, but not limited to medications, immunizations, tests, specimen collection, therapeutic treatments, etc.
• Instructs and counsels patients and/or significant others regarding current health condition and health maintenance. Assists in appropriate patient referral and follow-up.
• Maintains accurate and complete nursing documentation in the triage template of the electronic medical record and assures confidentiality of all information related to patients.
• Assists in maintaining and utilizing a variety of health record indexes, storage, recall, and retrieval systems, including automated data processing systems.
• Collaborate with area hospitals to promote continuity of care for patients who are admitted and discharged from the ED or hospital admission.
• Utilize Call Center work sheet to monitor and document medication refill and triage calls.
• Utilize hospital tracking worksheet to monitor and document patient discharge and admission and other measures as needed.
• In-puts data into various computer programs including but not limited to the Electronic medical record system.
• Maintain records by documenting in EMR refill request by fax, phone or E-RX.
• Consistently triages patients in person, or by telephone, in a manner which results in efficient and accurate patient disposition to appropriate resources
• Completes patient referral documents and pre-certifications in time frames determined by the Health center.
• Demonstrates self-directed learning through participation in staff education and in-service programs.
• Demonstrates flexibility and cooperation in relation to workplace staffing and manpower needs by rotating on an urgent basis and assisting the various departments and satellites as able.
• Demonstrates active participation in staff development activities for other staff members.
• Exhibits professional conduct with patients and fellow employees and maintain a working relationship with providers and others to ensure patient quality of care.
• Consistently utilizes appropriate lines of authority as necessary.
• Participates in Quality Assessment or other committee activities as assigned.
• Demonstrates knowledge of accepted nursing standards through their use in all decision making and patient care.
• Seeks guidance and validation from appropriate clinical/management resources when necessary.
• Communicate and collaborate with Pharmacist and Provider to ensure accurate medication refills according to the Medication Refill Standing Orders.
• The nurse will not call in any medication refill request not listed on the Standing Medication Refill Protocol.
• Demonstrates consistent effort to maintain sound working relationships with subordinates, peers and superiors.
• Advise calls center staff and provide direction appropriately within in the callcenter to subordinates in manner which is consistent with effective and efficient use of resources.
• Performs work-related duties in safe manner utilizing sound work practices as related to use of universal precautions, personal protective equipment, etc.
• Assists in the preparation and maintenance of patient rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies to assure efficient patient interaction.
• Greets all patients/clients/ via telephone or directly in a personal and professional manner. Promotes positive patient relations.
• Utilized critical thinking, clinical judgment skills, medical approved decision support and nursing process to determine the urgency of the patient’s problem and to direct the patient to the appropriate level of care.
• Assumes other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Assist staff with Spanish interpretation if bilingual in Spanish.
• Attend job related training as mandated.
• Completes Continued Education requirements to maintain licensure as directed by the NJ state board of nursing
• Graduate of an accredited School of Professional Nursing (R.N.); two (2) years experience as an R.N. preferred; previous experience in public health or primary care setting beneficial. A minimum of one year’s experience as an RN is required (2080 hours).
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB:
• Must hold current certification in Basic Life Support.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred;
• Pass Care Coordination and Transitional Management Course
• Pass proficiency testing in Spanish (if bilingual) within 30 days of notification of testing requirement.
• Capable of working with computers and software applications suitable for health care environment
• Computer literacy and proficiency
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with others and to assist the public cooperatively and courteously.
• Ability to work independently and multitask.
Henry J. Austin Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union, domestic partnership, affectional or sexual orientation, genetic information, sex, gender identity, disability or veteran status.