Certified Medican Assistant-Float
Under the general direction of the Unit Manager, does the work involved in referrals, scheduling appointments, filing, abstracting data and maintaining files in current condition; assist the nursing staff with patients as deemed necessary in accordance with established philosophy by the health center, does related work as required for the various departments. Communicates with physicians and team members about changes in patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology.
• Completes patient referral documents and pre-certifications in time frames determined by the Health center. Follow the referral guidelines and provide appropriate clinical information to specialists.
• Assists team and clinical staff with ancillary testing point of care testing and other clinical duties as assigned
• Follows the direction of the unit manager, by assisting the nursing staff with patient care as deemed necessary.
• Maintains accurate and complete documentation in paper and electronic medical records and assures confidentiality of all information related to patients.
• Obtains the signatures, reports, and other items required to complete the medical records.
• Brings unusual, inaccurate and/or interesting material to the attention of the Unit Manager.
• Assists in maintaining and utilizing a variety of health record indexes, storage, recall, and retrieval systems, including automated data processing systems.
• In-puts data into various computer programs including the electronic medical record according to the tabs. Scans lab and reports in chart according to tabs and filing system.
• Assists in the maintenance of essential medical records and files.
• Scans lab reports in charts.
• Receives callers, determines their reasons for visiting the office, provides them with the required information according to procedures and sees that within the medical assistance scope, the desired objectives are achieved.
• Exhibits professional conduct with patients and fellow employees.
• Receives, sorts and distributes incoming correspondence.
• Notify patients to bring appropriate documents for registration and verify
• Insurance eligibility when scheduling patient appointments.
• Adhere to scheduling rules for scheduling of appointments confirmation calls and follow-up for no show including DNKA.
• Participate with population management in collaboration with the clinical and care teams as directed by using multiple templates tools: including preventive templates, health maintenance template, CEM, Business Objects reports, UDS reports and Performance Improvement Projects, Quality Improvement and Quality Assurance and any other plans or process to improve patient outcomes.
• Performs varied clerical duties. Adhere to team daily chart check list for patient chart preparation prior to and during patient visits.
• Responsible for the maintenance of certain log books as assigned by the department manager.
• Prepares and assist on departmental projects, form completions, and reports.
• Greets all patients/clients/customers via telephone or directly in a personal and professional manner.
• Assumes other duties as assigned by Unit Manager/Supervisor.
• Demonstrates flexibility and cooperation in relation to workplace staffing and manpower needs by rotating on an emergent basis and assisting the various departments and satellites as able.
• Demonstrates consistent effort to maintain sound working relationships with subordinates, peers and superiors.
• Assists in the preparation and maintenance of patient rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies to assure efficient patient interaction.
• Perform inventory of supplies and equipment.
• Performs work-related duties in safe manner utilizing sound work practices as related to use of universal precautions, personal protective equipment, etc.
• Seeks guidance and validation from appropriate clinical/management resources when necessary.
• Consistently utilizes appropriate lines of authority as necessary.
• Wear a clearly visible identification badge indicating his or her name and credentials.
• The designated certified medical assistant may administer subcutaneous and intramuscular injections under the direction of a physician.
• The designated certified medical assistant cannot read or interpret PPD.
• Participate in other assigned duties a designated by the Supervisor.
• Assist staff with Spanish interpretation if bilingual in Spanish.
• Attend job related training as mandated.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED); minimum one (1) year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Course.
• Certification as a Medical Assistant
• Must hold current certification in Basic Life Support.
• The Certified Medical Assistant must maintain current certification from the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), or registration from the American Medical Technologists (AMT), or any other recognized certifying body approved by the National Board of Medical Examiner.
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB:
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Pass proficiency testing in Spanish (if bilingual) within 30 days of notification of testing requirement.
• Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. Ability to write correspondence; effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to, clients and other employees of the organization.
• Computer literacy.
• Skill in the application of modern office techniques and practices and the use and care of office machines and equipment. Working knowledge of common software packages necessary to perform the functions of the position.
• Ability to review and abstract data from patient records.
• Ambulatory Surgery Technician Certification is required for employees who sterilize surgical and medical instruments. The employees who are required to sterilize instruments must pass the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution, INC. (CBSPD), Ambulatory Surgery Technician Exam within 6 months of hire.
• Ability to work well with others and to assist the public cooperatively and courteously.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Recognize and respect cultural diversity.
• Team work and collaboration
• Meets dress code standards; appearance in neat and clean.
• Completes annual educational requirement.
• Maintains regulatory requirements.
• Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
• Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
• Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
• Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion.
• Attends annual review and department in-services, as scheduled.
• Attends a minimum of 10 staff meetings annually; reads monthly staff meeting minutes.
• Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
• Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
• Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
• Communicates the mission, visions and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department.
Henry J. Austin Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union, domestic partnership, affectional or sexual orientation, genetic information, sex, gender identity, disability or